Man saves sleeping neighbours after electric bike catches fire on corridor

Man saves sleeping neighbours after electric bike catches fire on corridor

SINGAPORE - A man saved two of his sleeping neighbours after a fire broke out along the corridor at Block 158 Mei Ling Street on Wednesday morning.

An electric bicycle had caught fire outside a three-room unit on the 4th floor.

According to Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao, the incident happened at about 1am in the morning, when most of the residents were sleeping.

The electric bicycle belonged to a 46-year-old man named Abdullah, who had been sleeping in his house with his wife and three daughters, aged 3, 8 and 15.

When he smelled the smoke, he rushed out of his house and saw the flames. He attempted to put out the fire with pails of water but was unsuccessful.

His children called the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) while he knocked frantically on his neighbours' doors to alert them of the fire.

Mr Abdullah saved a 80-year-old woman and a two-month-old infant.

When praised as a hero, Mr Abdullah said that it was what he should do:

"Everyone was sleeping! If I didn't wake them up, it would have been unthinkable!"


Visit STOMP for more stories.

 

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.