Man taken to hospital after ammonia leak near Joo Koon

Man taken to hospital after ammonia leak near Joo Koon
PHOTO: The Straits Times

SINGAPORE - About 80 people were evacuated from a building near Joo Koon today.

Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the incident at Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim on Friday morning. A 68kg gas cylinder containing ammonia had ruptured in a room on the first floor of the three-storey building.

Upon arrival, SCDF said its Hazardous Materials Specialists flushed the residual ammonia gas from the ruptured cylinder with a water jet. Fan blowers were also used to ventilate the affected room to aid in the dissipation of the gas.

Although the Company's Emergency Response Team (CERT) isolated the source of the leak by shutting off connecting valves to the ruptured cylinder, one man reported discomfort on his face and throat and had difficulty breathing.

SCDF decontaminated the man by washing him thoroughly with water. He was taken to the hospital conscious.

ljessica@sph.com.sg

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.