MRT 'samurai' jailed

MRT 'samurai' jailed
Swordsmanship instructor and tattoo artist Peter Chua Teck Choon arrives in State Courts on 16 July 2014.

For more than 30 minutes on Dec 16, Peter Chua Teck Choon terrified MRT train commuters on a north-bound train towards Dhoby Ghaut.

Dressed like a samurai, the 39-year-old martial arts instructor had drawn a katana - a samurai sword with a 75cm sharpened blade - to ward off three TransCom officers trying to apprehend him.

The officers, who handle public transport security, had asked Chua to leave the train while they were in a north-bound train from City Hall to Dhoby Ghaut.

Instead of complying, Chua turned aggressive, pushing one of the officers and shouting vulgarities.

The officers warned him about his behaviour.

That was when Chua swung his sword in a threatening manner at the three officers.

Yesterday, Chua pleaded guilty to voluntary causing hurt, criminal intimidation and using criminal force on a public servant.


He was sentenced to seven weeks' jail.

Four other charges, including one of outrage of modesty, were considered.

He was accompanied to court by his mother, Madam Tan Yoke Lan, a 59-year-old cleaner. 

The incident started at about 12.20pm when Chua boarded a bus to Paya Lebar MRT station.

Before alighting, he unsheathed his Katana sword and poked its tip at the stomach of a 37-year-old commuter, leaving a red mark on the man's skin.

At the train station, Chua jumped a fare gate and boarded a train bound for City Hall MRT station.

TransCom officers intercepted Chua at Bugis MRT station and tailed him.

Chua alighted at City Hall MRT station and switched lines to a train heading towards Dhoby Ghaut.

Realising he was being followed, Chua became agitated.

He hurled vulgarities at the officers and pushed two of them before unsheathing his sword.

Chua then put his sword back and alighted at Dhoby Ghaut station, where he took another train back to City Hall MRT station, where he alighted.

He was eventually arrested at Jalan Pisang near Sultan Mosque in Bugis.

Chua's lawyer, Mr Louis Joseph, asked for a lenient sentence, saying that his client was remorseful. He added that Chua had mental issues.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Siti Adrianni Marhain said Chua had a history of poly-substance abuse and was diagnosed as having "substance-induced psychosis". (See report above.)

Nevertheless, she sought a custodial sentence because Chua had caused fear and had a clear disregard of the law by trying to evade arrest.

Ms Siti Adrianni said: "In an hour, he (Chua) had committed seven different offences."

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.