SINGAPORE - Self-proclaimed "naturist" Albert Yam Kam Hoong, who is among 18 people wanted by Penang police for taking part in a nudist event in Malaysia, has in the past filmed himself naked in public places here, including MacRitchie Reservoir, Changi and East Coast Park.
The most recent video that the Singapore permanent resident (PR) uploaded of his exploits involved him and a handful of like-minded people baring all at Goldkist Resorts, which rents out chalets at East Coast Park. The activities, which allegedly took place on July 27, were not contained in the chalet, but took place outdoors as well.
Malaysian Chew Tok Hwa, who had allegedly organised the nudist event in Penang in May, was pictured leaning on a tree in the resort naked. Mr Yam, a Malaysian national in his mid-50s, could also be seen posing on a bench nude. The pictures were seemingly taken while no one else was around.
When asked about the gathering, Goldkist Resorts said that such behaviour was not allowed on its premises. "We are a family chalet," said a spokesman, adding that no one had reported the incident to the management previously.
The Straits Times has managed to view four local videos, ranging from four to 10 minutes, which were posted by Mr Yam. They were all time-stamped. According to the videos, those who took part are members of a Yahoo group called SgNudClub founded in May 2006. It currently lists 619 members.
One video dated March 30 showed two men and a woman swimming naked at a beach in Changi. They also suntanned nude, flashing peace and thumbs-up signs to the camera. Others showed Mr Yam and his friends naked in public outdoor showers, and while doing kettlebell exercises and yoga naked. No sexual contact was involved.
The videos, which were usually set to songs, end with the words "Albert Yam Productions". Captions such as "What's (sic) a lovely day at the beach" and "Thank you all for watching" were also included.
According to lawyer Tan Hee Joek, Mr Yam can be charged with appearing nude in public, and making and distributing obscene films. If found guilty, he is liable to be jailed or fined or both.
Mr Yam, who The Straits Times understands is currently unemployed and married with three daughters, has since taken down the videos or made them private after coming under scrutiny.
He did not answer calls from The Straits Times. His Facebook page, along with Miss Chew's, were also taken down yesterday.
On Wednesday, The Star reported that 18 people, including four from Singapore, were being investigated after a 51/2-minute video - of them participating in the "Malaysia-International Nude Sports Games 2014" on a secluded beach in Teluk Kampi at the Teluk Bahang National Park - went viral. It is believed that Mr Yam had put together the video, which saw participants painting their naked bodies and skinny-dipping.
In a report carried by the Malaysian Insider yesterday, Penang police chief Abdul Rahim Hanafi said 15 of those who took part have been identified. Seven are Malaysians, and the others are from Singapore, Myanmar, India and the Philippines.
So far none of them has come forward, he added. And unless they did so, their details and photographs will be made public, he was quoted as saying. "We will also contact Interpol in Bukit Aman to get help from our counterparts overseas to trace their citizens who were involved," he added.
In another report in the Rakyat Post, Mr Yam was quoted as saying he was willing to come forward but that police "must pay for my coach fares". Surprised that the video has become such a big issue, he said: "We will still continue with such activities, but just not now."
This article was first published on August 08, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.