Pet dog infested with maggots: Retiree fined $7k

Pet dog infested with maggots: Retiree fined $7k
Quek did not seek treatment for his son's injured pet shih tzu, and called the SPCA to take it away to be euthanised. Vets estimated that it had probably been infected by maggots for at least 10 days.

SINGAPORE - The shih tzu had been his child's pet for 13 years, but when hundreds of maggots ate away part of its face, Quek Ah Nguang did not take it to the vet.

The 64-year-old had thought there was little point in getting the pooch treated as he was moving from a landed property to a Housing Board flat in about two months' time. He had planned to get rid of the dog by sending it to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).

But because of the dog's maggot infestation, the retiree called the SPCA to take it away to be euthanised.

Vets at the SPCA found the neglected animal in a horrific state.

On Wednesday, Quek was fined $7,000 for causing unnecessary suffering to the male shih tzu by failing to take it to a vet for treatment of its maggot-infested wound.

The vets estimated that there were between 200 and 300 maggots, which had eaten all the tissue and bone structures around the dog's right eye.

There were even maggots residing in a hole in its chin.

The dog had probably been infected by the maggots for at least 10 days, the vets reckoned. It also reeked of urine, and its fur was matted and its skin inflamed.

It was euthanised the next day to put it out of its misery.

The dog's name was not stated in the court documents.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.