KUALA LUMPUR: Police have ruled out ransom as a motive in the kidnapping of 20-month-old Baby Freddie in Bangsar on Friday.
City CID chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the possibility of the boy being kidnapped for ransom is slim.
"We ruled out that possibility. To kidnap a small child for ransom just does not make sense because they are quite hard to control.
"We believe there are other reasons. Our main concern was the safety of the victim. Now we can focus on our investigation to find what was the motive," he told reporters. He said since the victim was a toddler, there would not be much information that police could get from him.
On the possibility of the boy's father being a suspect, SAC Ku said it was too early to speculate.
"From what we have gathered so far, there is no urgency to question the father," he added.
SAC Ku added that widespread publicity on the case helped in finding the boy unharmed.
"The suspects might have been scared so they released the baby unharmed," he said.
Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Muhammad Azlee Abdullah said police have recorded the statements of three people in connection with the case.
"We have also recovered CCTV footage of the incident from the neighbour's camera. However, the camera was placed too far away so we could noit clearly identify the suspect but we do have an idea of what he looks like," he said.
The boy was abducted by a man and a woman who arrived at the house of the mother, British language teacher Sarah Joseph, in a white Toyota Camry at about 6.10pm Friday.
Sarah, 38, who was feeding Freddie at the porch had gone inside the house briefly after hearing some noise.
She was shocked to find that the man had snatched Freddie when she came out.