Punch-up after mix-up at Trickeye Museum

Punch-up after mix-up at Trickeye Museum
James (bottom left) had cuts on his lower lip during the fight at the entrance of the Trickeye Museum. (Top left) A picture taken by James of the family who owned the camera.

A misplaced camera, a misunderstanding, an accusation. These ingredients made for blood and tears for a family at Sentosa on Sunday.

Blood, because the father was punched by another visitor after being accused of theft.

Tears, because his young children and those of his assailant wailed as they watched their fathers hitting at each other.

The victim, who wanted to be known only as James, 37, said he had gone to the Trickeye Museum at Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) with his wife, two children and in-laws.

The Trickeye Museum showcases around 80 optical illusions in the form of paintings and installations, allowing visitors to take creative photographs of themselves with the exhibits.

After about 40 minutes, James' wife came across a small camera inside a Nikon case lying on a raised platform at an exhibit featuring a panda.

The couple, who are both in the education sector, told The New Paper at their flat on Monday that their first thought was to hand the camera to the museum staff.

James' wife, who wanted to be known only as Sarah, 32, said: "I asked a woman next to me if it belonged to her, but it did not."

James said: "Right away, she wanted to return the camera. But the lost-and-found counter was outside. So we decided to do it at the end of our visit."

Sarah said she placed the camera into a baby stroller before handing it to her mother a few minutes later to put into her handbag for safe keeping.

About half an hour later, a woman who introduced herself as a museum staff member approached Sarah. The museum told TNP that the woman was its operations manager.

Sarah said the woman asked her if her family had seen anything others might have misplaced.

"I wasn't sure she was a staff member because she wasn't wearing any identification. But we gave the camera to her," she said.

Sarah then verified with her that she was a staff of the museum. The operations manager handed the camera to a woman in her 70s who was standing a few metres away.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.