Quick-thinking workers save restaurant

Quick-thinking workers save restaurant
The New Paper understands that the fire started at around 11.30am yesterday, from overheated cooking oil in a wok over a lighted stove.

SINGAPORE - When a blaze started at their workplace, their instincts kicked in and they took action immediately.

Two employees at Yumeya Japanese Restaurant on Mohamed Sultan Road used a fire extinguisher and several buckets of water to put out the fire before the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) arrived.

Two members of the kitchen staff were taken to hospital.

The New Paper understands that the fire started at around 11.30am yesterday, from overheated cooking oil in a wok over a lighted stove.

A shopkeeper nearby said: "There were lots of bystanders crowding around when the police and fire engines came."

The SCDF was alerted at 11.31am and dispatched a fire engine, a Red Rhino, two fire bikes and an ambulance to the scene.

Two men in their 20s, one of them a chef, were taken to Singapore General Hospital. One of them had minor burns on the neck and left arm and the other suffered smoke inhalation.

This article was published on May 6 in The New Paper.

Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.