Robbery rapist blames depression for his crimes

Robbery rapist blames depression for his crimes
ACCUSED: Haliffie Mamat allegedly raped the woman on this bridge in Kallang Bahru on May 4, 2013.

He told the police that he just wanted to rob his alleged victim, not have sex with her.

"I don't know why I cross over my mind (sic) to have sex with the girl," Haliffie Mamat said in his statement.

The storeman is on trial for allegedly raping a woman on a bridge in Kallang Bahru between 6.30am and 6.45am on May 4, 2013.

He had earlier seen her waiting for a taxi on River Valley Road and offered her a ride in his car. The woman, who cannot be named due to a court order to protect her identity, had been drinking alone at a Clarke Quay club.

Haliffie, 24, is also accused of robbing the woman, who was then 34 and working for a logistics company, of a Louis Vuitton handbag valued at $1,630, two mobile phones worth around $1,300, about $300 in cash and a bottle of Bvlgari perfume valued at around $130.

In his police statement on May 7, 2013, he pleaded for a lighter sentence.

"I wish to apologise to this girl in person. I am really sorry. The reason I did this was I was depressed," he said.

Investigation officer Thermizi Tho took the stand on the third day of Haliffie's trial yesterday and read out the statement to Justice Kan Ting Chiu.

Haliffie's ex-wife, Ms Yunizar Hambali, who also took the stand yesterday, said they got married on Sept 25, 2010, and their divorce was finalised last June 26. They have a four-year-old son.

The court heard that she had a "heated quarrel" with Haliffie over some financial matters on May 3, 2013 - about 12 hours before the alleged rape.

After the tiff, he left their flat at Block 235, Bukit Batok East Avenue 5.

When he did not return the next two days, she decided to look for their car at a carpark near their home between 4am and 5am on May 5, 2013.

Ms Yunizar, who is unemployed, found the car and called Haliffie's uncle, known only as Wandi, to drive it away as she did not have a driving licence.

She said: "While waiting for Wandi to arrive, I searched the car since it was registered under my name and I did not know what Haliffie could have done with it."

In a small storage compartment under the steering wheel, she found a bottle of perfume and her ex-husband's wallet containing $2.50.

In the glove compartment, she found $130 and a small dark-coloured object that "looked like tobacco". Without taking notice of the perfume brand, she threw away the two items.

She used the money to shop for items including milk powder.

It was not mentioned in court when Haliffie went home. But Ms Yunizar said that the police turned up at their flat at about 10pm the next day and arrested him.

Testifying in court yesterday, Haliffie's best friend, Mr Abdul Hafiz Ayub, said that Haliffie sent him several text messages on May 5, 2013, asking him to help take care of his family.

The sales assistant said: "He stated that he had something in his car and that he would go to prison.

"He also informed me that he had a bottle of perfume in his car and that if his wife asked about it, he asked me to tell her that I had given it to him."

The court also heard yesterday that cabby Onn Mokri helped take the alleged rape victim to Geylang Neighbourhood Police Centre in his taxi at around 7am on May 4, 2013.

He said he was at the traffic light junction at Kallang Bahru and Geylang Bahru when she opened his taxi's left rear passenger door and entered.


Mr Onn added that her hair was very messy and she reeked of alcohol. She also had bruises on her left arm and knees.

The woman said "pain" and wanted to go to the nearest police station, the court was told. When the cabby asked why, she replied that she had been raped. But he could not understand most of what she was saying as she was crying and mumbling.

Mr Onn drove to Block 61, Geylang Bahru, to pick up a friend with whom he had planned to have breakfast.

They then went to the police centre where they told the police officers there about what had happened.

The trial resumes today.

If convicted of rape, Haliffie can be jailed between eight and 20 years, and receive at least 12 strokes of the cane.

And if convicted of robbery, he can be jailed between three and 14 years, and receive at least 12 strokes of the cane.


He saw her waiting for a taxi by the roadside on River Valley Road at about 5am on May 4, 2013, and offered her a ride in his car.

The woman, 34, who had been drinking alone at Clarke Quay, accepted the offer.

But instead of sending her home as he had promised, storeman Haliffie Mamat, 24, drove her to a bridge in Kallang Bahru, where he allegedly robbed and raped her.

In the opening statement presented in court on Monday, the prosecution said that the woman had waited for a cab for about an hour when Haliffie pulled up.

She dozed off after getting into his car and woke up when they stopped on a bridge in Kallang Bahru.

The prosecution said Haliffie stopped her from alighting and threw her handbag to the back seat. He then raped her.

After he was done, Haliffie got back into the driver's seat and drove for a short while before he reached over to the front passenger door, opened it and kicked the woman out of the car.

He was arrested by the police after he sold a mobile phone that he had allegedly taken from her

This article was first published on May 21, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Rape Robbery
Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.