Rubbish chute catches fire at Sembawang HDB block

Rubbish chute catches fire at Sembawang HDB block

SINGAPORE - A resident at a HDB block in Sembawang had a shock when he opened the central refuse chute on Friday.

The resident, Christopher, told Stomp that he smelled smoke coming from the chute at Block 507B Wellington Circle.

When he opened it, he saw that a fire had broken out inside and immediately alerted SCDF and the Town Council.

In an email to Stomp, he wrote:

"I smelled smoke coming from the central refuse chute at Block 507B Wellington Circle yesterday (Feb 13) at 7.10pm.

"I opened it and saw thick smoke billowing out.

"I then immediately called the Town Council and SCDF about the situation. They responded fast and arrived within 10 minutes.

"When they opened up the chute, there was fire in it. It was quickly put out by the fire fighters in minutes.

"The suspected cause is a live cigarette butt. I want to thank the fire fighters and police officers for their quick response!"


Visit STOMP for more stories.

 

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.