S’pore cabby surrenders to Malaysia police

S’pore cabby surrenders to Malaysia police

KUALA LUMPUR - A Singaporean taxi driver wanted for allegedly killing his wife's lover and grievously wounding her has turned himself in to Malaysian police after a nearly three-week manhunt.

The cabby, identified as Quah Tee Keon, 47, had allegedly stabbed to death Mr Ruan Chao Kiang, a 32-year-old Chinese national whom he caught in bed with his wife at their house in Triang, Pahang.

Senior Assistant Commissioner Mohd Zakaria Ahmad, who heads criminal investigation in Pahang, said Quah surrendered to police in Kuala Lumpur on Monday at noon and was taken the same day to Pahang.

Quah has been placed under remand as police investigate the Oct 13 murder.

"He's still our only suspect... We can remand him for 14 days," Mr Zakaria told The Straits Times.

Quah reportedly stabbed and slashed the man and seriously wounded his 33-year-old wife, Ms Loong Mei Ling, in the right lung. She is now recovering in a hospital in Temerloh, Pahang.

Local media reported that Quah returned home at 3am and found them in bed. He allegedly attacked both. She locked herself in a room as he allegedly slashed Mr Ruan to death.

Quah allegedly continued to threaten to kill her and their two children for hours before leaving at 7am.

The couple had married in 2004 and lived in a flat in Woodlands Avenue 1. They were known to have had loud, sometimes physical, fights on a nightly basis, according to neighbours.

Neighbours said they suspected the fights were over money, and had pointed out red and black paint splashes outside their door, an intimidation tactic used by loan sharks.

Ms Loong had reportedly moved to the Pahang house last month due to family problems.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.