KOTA KINABALU - Many of the Sulu gunmen managed to evade being shot when elite police VAT 69 commandos fired at them in Kampung Tanduo in March last year.
Insp Rosli Wahad, leader of a sniper group of VAT 69 commandos, said during the March 1 shootout between Malaysian security forces and the Sulu gunmen, not many intruders were shot dead despite the presence of police snipers there to monitor different areas in the village.
He said there were about 30 armed intruders around their area of watch prior to the March 1 shootout and after it happened, only three were found dead.
"We found three of them lying motionless while the rest seemed to have escaped," he said before High Court judge Justice Stephen Chung yesterday.
Insp Rosli said he was assigned to watch over the rumah kongsi where he and his team could better monitor the activities of gunmen who had created their stronghold in a house not far from where they were stationed.
Insp Rosli was the 20th prosecution witness to testify at the trial of 30 people, including a woman, involved in various offences linked to the Sulu intrusion in Lahad Datu and Semporna in February and March last year.
He told the court that he was observing a group of about 20 gunmen near a water point beside the house, which the intruders were believed to have occupied early March 1 morning.