This article was last updated on May 14
SINGAPORE - Salmonella contamination has been determined as the cause of mass food poisoning among 231 people who ate food prepared by Kuisine Catering in February, Lianhe Wanbao reported on Friday (May 13).
Initial reports said that about 130 people were known to have become ill after consuming food from the caterer, but a total of 231 are now linked to the case.
The alarm was first sounded when 33 people fell ill after a birthday party in February. Later, more affected consumers said they experienced vomiting and had diarrhorea after consuming food prepared by the caterer from Feb 12 to 14.
In its latest report, Lianhe Wanbao reported that the company has since shut its business, and its signboard has been removed from the space it occupied in Jurong.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) clarified with AsiaOne on May 14 that the outbreak was caused by salmonella enteritidis, a foodborne pathogen commonly associated with raw poultry products. The authority did not identify specific food items that could have caused the contamination.
A probe also found that there were expired food items in the kitchen, and that the company did not keep temperature records for its freezers and chillers.
No lapses in hygiene were found among suppliers that the company used, Wanbao added.
It is believed that all affected consumers have since recovered.