Sengkang flat fire: Blaze started in tenant's room

Sengkang flat fire: Blaze started in tenant's room

SINGAPORE - A unit on the 8th floor of a block of flats in Sengkang caught fire this morning, causing thick black fumes to spew out from the bedroom window, where the fire started.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the fire occurred at about 9am.

The owners of the unit in 207B Compassvale Lane - an elderly woman in her 60s and her 44-year-old son, managed to escape in time. 

The fire broke out in one of the bedrooms, which was rented out. The tenant, an engineer, was not in at the time.

According to the Chinese evening papers, the son, Ah-Nan, had rushed from kitchen to bedroom in a bid to put out the flames. He used 10 pails of water but the fire raged on.

Officers from the Singapore Civil Defence Force eventually brought the fire under control. No injuries were reported.

Ah-Nan told reporters he suspects the fire may have been caused by an overheated computer in the tenant's room. And if so, he intends to seek compensation for the damage caused.

An eyewitness wrote in to citizen journalism site, Stomp, with photos of the blaze. Said the contributor: "At 9.20am today, a unit at Sengkang Compassvale Lane caught fire."

candicec@sph.com.sg

 

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.