She opened bedroom door and saw flames

She opened bedroom door and saw flames
The walls in the living room were charred.

SINGAPORE - She woke to the sound of what she thought was wind rattling her windows.

But there was also the smell of smoke so she realised something was wrong.

Madam Armie Abello Maru, 29, a housewife, saw smoke coming out from under her bedroom door. When she opened the door she was greeted by the sight of flames in the room across.

The fire broke out yesterday at around 7am in the 12th storey unit of Block 976, Jurong West Street 93.

Madam Abello, who is from the Philippines, said: "The fire was in the room so we thought we could put it out at first."

She woke her in-laws who were sleeping in another room and her father-in-law tried to put out the fire with a bucket of water. But instead of extinguishing the flames, the fire grew even bigger.

"We realised that we couldn't handle the fire, so we got the kids and left quickly," she added.

Her two sons aged one and seven were still sleeping in her bedroom. Together, the three adults and two children escaped unscathed.

Madam Abello's husband was overseas at the time.

He took an earlier flight back to Singapore yesterday after hearing about the fire.

The fire broke out in a room that was used to store old clothing, bedsheets, toys and some alcohol.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman said they sent two fire engines, one red rhino, and three support vehicles.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.