Singapore condemns Xinjiang attacks, says MFA

Singapore condemns Xinjiang attacks, says MFA

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a statement in response to media queries on the explosions at an open-air market in Urumqi, China.

"Singapore strongly condemns the horrific attack on civilians that killed at least 31 and injured more than 94 at the open-air market in Urumqi on the morning of 22 May 2014.

"This series of attacks over the last few months has become more violent and is a cause for serious concern. Such acts of terror against innocent members of the public cannot be justified under any circumstances.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of lives from this incident, and express our deepest sympathies and condolences to the victims and their families. We hope that those responsible will be brought to justice swiftly."

Assailants in two vehicles ploughed into shoppers and traders and threw explosives at a street market in Urumqi, the capital of the volatile Xinjiang region, on Thursday.

The devastating attack was described by authorities as the latest "severe terrorist incident" to hit the far western region, home to China's mainly Muslim Uighur minority.

More than 90 people were also wounded when the two off-road vehicles drove into the crowd, with one of them exploding, an incident with echoes of a fiery car crash in Beijing's Tiananmen Square last year.

klim@sph.com.sg

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.