Slashed by robber, now fighting for family

Slashed by robber, now fighting for family
Madam Kuek Soo Lan suffered slash wounds on her left arm and fingers during the robbery attempt in Negeri Sembilan in the early hours of Feb 24.

SEREMBAN - The Singaporean woman whose husband and son are facing murder charges for allegedly killing a robber who attacked her has vowed to do everything in her power to save them.

"We might have to sell our house or borrow money to pay the legal fees - whatever it takes to clear their names," Madam Kuek Soo Lan told The Straits Times from Malaysia.

The 52-year-old, who works in Singapore as a promoter at supermarket chain Giant, was slashed by a knife-wielding robber in the early hours of Feb 24.

She was visiting her Malaysian husband's family in Negeri Sembilan during the Chinese New Year period when her nightmare began.

Her husband and son are now in a detention facility.

"My son can't stop crying, and it really broke my heart," an emotional Madam Kuek said in Mandarin over the phone.

Her husband, Moo He Hong, 59, is a part-time cook, while her son, Moo Wee Keong, 29, recently left his job with a telco. They learnt two days ago they were being charged with the murder of the robber, Chen Wen Bao.

Madam Kuek said she and her husband had arrived at their house in Malaysia - located in a remote and dimly lit area - at about 12.30am on the day of the incident.

As Madam Kuek was walking to the front of the house, she said a masked man rushed out from the shadows and attempted to grab her bag.

"At first, I thought he was just carrying a stick, so I put up a struggle. I realised it was a knife only when I saw the blood," she said.

She suffered slash wounds on her left arm and fingers, which required 25 stitches.

She has yet to regain full mobility in her fingers.

Her husband, who was parking their Malaysia-registered car, then managed to knock the man to the ground with a pipe.

By then, the sleeping Wee Keong was alerted to his mother's cries and rushed out to help pin down the man. They tied up the man with some rope.

Her husband then drove Madam Kuek to a nearby clinic for treatment without waiting for the police to arrive.

He returned 15 minutes later to the house, only to discover that Chen had died.

Madam Kuek was told by the police that Chen had died of "chest injuries probably caused by multiple blows to the area".

Witnesses had apparently told the police that Wee Keong may have caused the man's death by sitting on him during the early stages of the struggle.

"The robber was taller and bigger than both my husband and son. How could a few blows and my son sitting on him briefly kill him? It doesn't make sense," said Madam Kuek.

Both have pleaded not guilty to the murder charges.

This article was first published on Mar 13, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.