SINGAPORE - Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) and SPH Foundation presented a cheque of $400,000 to Community Chest at Gift of Music, a free community concert series today.
This is the 10th year that the concert is held. It is also the platform for the annual SPH and SPH Foundation Charity Cheque Presentation.
Guest of Honour Dr Lee Boon Yang, Chairman of SPH and SPH Foundation, presented the cheque to Mr Eric Ang, Vice Chairman of Community Chest.
Out of the $400,000 donation, SPH donated $200,000 to 10 charities serving the elderly and the disabled, while SPH Foundation gave $200,000 to 10 charities serving underprivileged children.
More than 100 past and present beneficiaries supported were invited to attend this special concert. They were from APSN Centre for Adults, APSN Katong School, Singapore Association of Mental Health, St Andrew's Autism School, Persatuan Persuratan Pemuda Pemudi Melayu and SPD (formerly known as Society for the Physically Disabled).
After the concert, the beneficiaries were treated to a lunch reception and brought home an SPH Gift of Music water bottle as a souvenir.
Apart from the beneficiaries, over 1,200 people also caught the performance by Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO), which was conducted by Music Director Lan Shui. It was the first time the Cultural Medallion recipient conducted for SPH Gift of Music.
The classical concert also featured acclaimed violinist Ning Feng, who won First Prize in the Michael Hill International Violin Competition in 2005 and the International Paganini Competition in 2006, amongst other awards.
This is the list of charity organisations which benefitted from this year's SPH and SPH Foundation Charity Cheque Presentation.
1. Hospice Day Hospice Centre
2. HCA Specialised Caregiver Support Service (Palliative)
3. The Seniors Helpline
4. SPD Employment Support Programme
5. SAMH Insight Centre
6. Care Corner Counselling Centre
7. SINDA Family Service Centre
8. As-Salaam PPIS Family Support Centre
9. Counselling and Care Centre
10. HELP Family Service Centre
Under SPH Foundation
1. AWWA School
2. APSN Katong School
3. Metta School
4. Rainbow Centre - Margaret Drive School
5. Towner Gardens School
6. Experiential Learning and Mentoring Programme (Woodlands)
7. Lutheran Community Care Services - ESU (Service A)
8. Persatuan Persuratan Pemuda Pemudi Melayu - ESU (Service B)
9. St Andrew's Autism School