S'pore households prefer traditional gas stoves over electric stoves: GfK

S'pore households prefer traditional gas stoves over electric stoves: GfK

SINGAPORE - Majority of the nearly 12,000 stoves sold in Singapore in the last eight months are still gas types, according to reports by market research firm GfK.

GfK's retail sales tracking of hoods and hobs in technical super stores and electrical chains in Singapore from July 2013 till February 2014 showed that local households spent over S$5 million on hobs; 82 per cent were gas hobs while electric hobs made up the remaining 18 per cent.

"In spite of the lower incidence of home cooking by modern families these days lending to the belief that households may prefer the easier to operate and clean electric hobs, our study has verified that this is not the case and Singaporeans generally are still traditional when it comes to cooking methods," highlighted Jasmine Lim, Account Director for Home & Lifestyle at GfK Asia.

She added: "Between gas and electric stoves, the former tend to be favoured as there is more instant and direct control of the heat to enable more uniform cooking."

GfK findings also showed that the lower priced sealed type surface which costs around S$362 made up 62 per cent of the hobs purchased. It was almost an even split with the more aesthetically pleasing and premium ceramic or glass type surface hobs which cost an average of S$568 in the overall hobs market.

In Singapore, hoods are apparently considered less essential kitchen appliances as compared to hobs. GfK reported that 79 per cent more hobs were sold during the tracking period. The most affordable standard type of hoods dominated sales volume and value-garnering 77 and 58 per cent of total market, while the more decorative and stylish chimney design trailed with 36 per cent of the market value even though the segment accounted for only 17 per cent in volume.

"With the continued emphasis on eco-friendly appliances these days, we are anticipating the energy-saving features of hoods and hobs to receive more attention from consumers," said Lim. "With the high number of government and private housing units expected to be completed this year, we can expect the hoods and hobs market in Singapore to turn in a robust performance in 2014," Lim concluded.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.