S'pore woman was shot multiple times in the head

S'pore woman was shot multiple times in the head

The Singaporean woman found murdered in her Hawaii home - allegedly by her new husband - had been shot in the head, local medics revealed on Thursday.

The Honolulu medical examiner told The Straits Times on Thursday that Ms Tara Irdawati Isnin, 33, died of "cranial cerebral injuries due to multiple gunshot wounds to the head".

She is believed to have been killed by her husband Leo Chavez, who serves in the US Army, before he turned the gun on himself around 4.30am local time on Monday. He is being treated in hospital.

Honolulu Police Department public affairs spokesman Teresa Bell told The Straits Times the case has been classified as murder with just "one suspect", whom she could identify only as the 40-year-old male found in the same apartment with "apparent self-inflicted injuries". No arrest has been made.

Ms Tara married Mr Chavez in August after meeting him in Singapore a year ago.

She has a four-year-old daughter from her first marriage and the child lives here with her first husband, an Australian. Ms Tara married him in 2006, the year she graduated from Curtin University of Technology. He declined to comment on Thursday when The Straits Times visited their home near Bukit Timah.

Before moving to the United States, Ms Tara was a corporate communications manager with real estate company Savills.

Chinese paper Shin Min Daily News on Thursday quoted a "good friend" of hers as saying her relationship with Mr Chavez had soured, adding that she texted last Saturday to say she was at "saturation point". But several others, including relatives, said the couple had appeared blissful.

Said friend and former colleague Nadia Johari, 30: "I had bumped into her husband here before and he had not come across as aggressive. On her Facebook profile, they also seemed very loving. She posted lots of pictures of them smiling together."

Ms Tara was "strong-willed, witty, generous and helpful", she added. "She loved her daughter... They were inseparable."

Ms Tara was pronounced dead on arrival by paramedics at the couple's 19th-floor apartment. The US Army Criminal Investigation Command visited the scene but Honolulu police will not be handing the case to the military.




Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.