Student stabbed by knife at Taiwan MRT station

Student stabbed by knife at Taiwan MRT station
A 15-year-old student surnamed Chang shows his wound, caused by the kitchen knife of a 28-year-old chef surnamed Wu, who had brushed past Chang while descending an escalator at the Taipei Main Station, yesterday.
PHOTO: China Post/ANN

TAIPEI, Taiwan - A 15-year-old boy was stabbed yesterday in the MRT concourse of Taipei Main Station at around 1 p.m., sustaining a wound on the right side of his upper torso.

Chang's injury was deemed "not life-threatening."

Deputy Commissioner of the Zhongzheng First Precinct of the Taipei City Police Department Li Chuan-che (李權哲) said that authorities tracked down the suspect, a 28 year-old man surnamed Wu, who lives in Tamsui, New Taipei City and works as a chef at an Italian restaurant, by yesterday evening. Authorities established contact with the suspect through his family members, and brought Wu in for further questioning.

Late yesterday evening, it was revealed that Wu has been placed under arrest over the incident

According to Wu, he had been carrying knives in his bag, and had no idea that he had injured Chang. Wu had gone straight to work after bumping into Chang on the escalator, not realizing he had been accused of being a "random killer."

Before tracking down Wu, Li had called the stabbing an "accident" based on the metro station's surveillance footage and witnesses' accounts of the incident, and dispelled initial media reports calling the incident a "random stabbing."

The injured student, surnamed Chang, along with his two friends had been descending an escalator at Taipei Main Station to transfer to MRT Line 5 when the black-shirted suspect cut in line, brushed past Chang, and injured the student with a sharp object, according to Chang's mother.

Chang had only seen and bumped into the suspect's black bag, and did not see a sharp object. He also failed to notice his injury immediately, said his mother. It was only after seeing bloodstains on his clothing did Chang notice the wound.

After noticing the wound, Chang immediately reported to a metro employee, who then called in the police, and then sent Chang to National Taiwan University Hospital. The wound was discovered to be four centimeters long, and one centimeter deep.

The 15-year-old student had been heading to Ximen to practice skateboarding with his friends.

"If it was an accident, we have no other choice but to blame it on bad luck. But, if it was intentional," Chang's mother said, "Then we want to get to the bottom of the situation."

Chang said he did not recognise Wu, further reiterating that he had not been involved in any spats or fights recently. "After bumping into him," Chang recalled, "He turned around and glared at my friends and I."

Based on the surveillance footage, Li said that Wu had taken the MRT and had been walking on the fast-track lane on the escalator, and only cut past Chang in line to attempt to make it to his train, which was preparing to leave the platform.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.