SINGAPORE - After he was arrested, the 51-year-old syndicate leader was brought to Woodlands Avenue 1, where he was believed to have hidden more drugs. About 2,210g of cannabis and 232g of heroin were found in the various hideouts.
Get the full story from The Straits Times.
CNB's press release:
2.6kg CANNABIS AND 232 Grams heroin seized
Syndicate leader, traffickers and YOUNG Abusers nabbed in two operations
Drug Trafficking Syndicate busted in Woodlands
On 26 August 2014, the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) launched an operation to apprehend a suspected drug syndicate leader who was believed to be distributing sizeable amounts of cannabis and heroin to local drug traffickers. From this operation, a total of about 2,625g of cannabis and 232g of heroin were seized. The drugs seized had a total street value of more than S$103,000.
2. On 26 August 2014, at around 11.30 am, CNB officers deployed in the vicinity of Woodlands Avenue 1 spotted the syndicate leader meeting up with a suspected drug trafficker. They parted ways soon after and officers moved in swiftly and placed both under arrest. From the 49-year-old suspected drug trafficker, CNB officers recovered a total of about 415g of cannabis.
3. After he was arrested, the 51-year-old syndicate leader was brought to Woodlands Avenue 1, where he was believed to have hidden more drugs. About 2,210g of cannabis and 232g of heroin were recovered in the various hideouts.
4. CNB officers then proceeded to the official residence of the 49-year-old suspected trafficker, where a search of the unit found a small amount of 'Ice' and various improvised drug smoking apparatus. A 54-year-old suspected drug abuser was arrested within the unit, and a 55-year-old suspected drug abuser was arrested just as he was approaching the unit. All the suspects arrested are male Singaporeans.
5. Investigations on all the suspects are ongoing. Any person convicted of trafficking in more than 500g of cannabis will face the death penalty.
Arrest of another group of youth abusers
6. Separately, on 24 August 2014, police officers placed under arrest four youths in the vicinity of Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1 after one of the youths was found in possession of a small packet of 'Ice'. The youths were aged between 14 to 17 years of age. All are Singaporeans and one is a female.
7. CNB conducted follow-up investigations on the same day and arrested two suspected drug traffickers aged 24 and 32 in the vicinity of Hougang Avenue 2. They were suspected to have sold drugs to one of the youths arrested earlier. Both are male Singaporeans. From the bag of the 24-year-old, officers found two small packets of 'Ice'.
8. CNB officers brought the 24-year-old suspect to his residence in Hougang and various drug-taking paraphernalia were recovered from his bedroom.
9. Investigations into the drug activities of all the suspects are ongoing. The 24-year-old male is being investigated for trafficking Class 'A' controlled drugs to a young person. If convicted of trafficking Class 'A' controlled drugs to a young person, he faces the enhanced penalty of a minimum of 10 years' imprisonment and 10 strokes of the cane. Following new laws introduced in 2012, those convicted of trafficking to a young person below 21 years of age will face enhanced penalties.