Taxi driver in hit-and-run says he didn't stop as 'passenger was rushing'

Taxi driver in hit-and-run says he didn't stop as 'passenger was rushing'
PHOTO: Stomp

An 11-year-old boy was injured in a hit-and-run accident involving a taxi at Teck Whye Lane on Friday (Apr 1).

Stomp contributor Benitha's brother-in-law was involved in the accident. She said after her family members and her tracked down the taxi driver, he was apparently 'not remorseful'.

She recounted: "It was a broad daylight at about 11.50am. My brother-in-law, who is only 11 years old, was crossing the road without any pedestrian crossing at Teck Whye Lane near CCK Polyclinic.

"My mother-in-law and sister-in-law were waiting for a taxi on the opposite side of the road where the incident took place.

"That's when my mother-in-law heard a big loud bang and to her horror, she saw her own son hit and flung three metres away by a taxi."

According to her, after realising that his mother and sister had hailed a cab, he crossed the road to meet them.

Benitha added that the boy checked if there were any oncoming vehicles first before crossing the road. After he saw that there weren't any cars, he crossed the road and the taxi then came at a fast speed and hit him.

"My sister-in-law ran to the taxi and asked the taxi driver to answer for his actions but without any second thought for the small kid who was lying on the road, he drove off immediately with a passenger inside.

"Another taxi driver from Comfort helped my mother-in-law and injured brother-in-law into his cab and managed to bring him to KKH."

The Stomp contributor and her husband rushed down to the hospital. They took down the taxi number and called the police. They also called the taxi company to look for the driver. 

She added: "The taxi driver's explanation was not even buy-able..the explanation which the taxi driver gave was that his passenger was rushing and asked him to drive off.

"They (taxi company) didn't even give us a proper answer about the state my 11-year-old brother-in-law is in.

"Now he has an injury on his head and cast on his right leg and is not walking around properly due to muscle injury on the left side of his body.

"It has been four days and the taxi driver did not have the courtesy to call up and ask or even come down to visit my brother-in-law.

"The taxi driver's negligent act has caused both my mother-in-law and her 11-year-old child to have sleepless nights."

Visit STOMP for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.