KUALA LUMPUR - Locked in an impasse over the sharing of concession maps on Wednesday, Asean environment ministers decided to adjourn for a tea break.
Over snacks, "intense bilateral and multilateral consultations" took place at the Royale Chulan hotel in the city centre, and the ministers hammered out the main points of an acceptable solution.
At issue was a haze monitoring system that Singapore had spent $100,000 developing. It was all systems go for the computer software except for one missing jigsaw puzzle piece: land concession maps from each country, to be matched with hot-spot data and high-resolution satellite images.
These are crucial to pinpointing companies responsible for burning land illegally. Singapore went to the meeting pushing hard on the issue, which it saw as vital for deterrence.
Making the maps public would pressure errant firms, as consumers would be better informed to take action against them, Environment and Water Resources Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said at a post-meeting press conference.
The worst haze crisis last month in the history of the region provided further impetus. "We were quite determined that it cannot be business as usual - just talk shop and no commitments," he said.
"I told them I cannot go home empty handed... You've got to show that... something additional has been committed, and that the companies know what was coming their way."
But the minister said he also knew pushing too hard might trigger a backlash, and may jeopardise any hopes of Indonesia's future ratification of the Asean Transboundary Haze Agreement.
|Haze in Singapore & Malaysia|
Click on thumbnail to view (Photos: ST, TNP, The Star, AFP, Reuters)