Teenager beat up man in taxi tussle

Teenager beat up man in taxi tussle

A dispute over a taxi queue prompted a teenager to assault the man he had just challenged for a taxi, which left his victim bloodied and with bruises and abrasions on the head.

Chng Min Sheng, then 18, even hit the drunk man twice with a beer bottle he took from a nearby coffeeshop and threw a stool at him.

The victim, engineer Cha Sangsu, 29, went to hospital to have his injuries treated and needed two days of medical leave.

Yesterday, Chng was jailed for a day and fined $1,000 for hurting Mr Cha outside Oriental Plaza in New Bridge Road on New Year's Day last year.

Chng, then a full-time national serviceman, was fined a further $600 for shoving his brother's primary school teacher some three weeks later, over vulgar messages sent using chat programme WhatsApp.

He was also fined $1,800 and banned from driving for a year over a separate set of driving-related offences on Feb 23 last year, which left a rental car flipped over in the middle of a road.

The court heard that around 5am on New Year's Day last year, Chng had appeared beside Mr Cha and tried to board the taxi which Mr Cha was about to enter.

Together with other unidentified people and one of the passengers who had just alighted from the vehicle, Chng assaulted Mr Cha after the dispute that followed.

On Jan 20 last year, Chng had also gotten into a dispute with his brother's teacher, whom the brother had added to a group chat with other students and Chng.

After asking Chng to stop swearing in the group chat, in which vulgarities were being hurled, the teacher, Mr Ko Kuan Woei, told Chng he wanted to speak to his father but the two agreed to discuss things in person.

Chng turned up the next day at Hougang Primary School, where he caused a commotion in front of other school staff and later shoved Mr Ko when the 34-year-old arrived and introduced himself.

Probation was not recommended for Chng, who was placed on an 18-month probation term in 2009 for a previous hurt offence.

The maximum penalty for voluntarily causing hurt is two years in jail and a $5,000 fine.

For using criminal force on the teacher unprovoked, Chng could have been jailed for up to three months and fined up to $1,500.


This article was first published on Nov 6, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.