Firefighters rescued three children from a burning flat Saturday afternoon.
The siblings, understood to be aged 12, nine and five, were trapped in the 5-room flat and were found in the toilet of the master bedroom.
A fire had broken out at about 12.20pm in the seventh-floor unit at Block 356C, Admiralty Drive.
A neighbour living directly above the unit alerted the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).
The secretary in her 50s, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Toh, said she saw fumes at her balcony and smelled something burning.
"I couldn't see anything outside. It was just black smoke coming from below," she said.
"My window grilles were very hot and even the floor was warm. The clothes pegs I used to hang my laundry melted."
A ninth-floor neighbour, Madam Veronica Sim, 44, said: "I smelled plastic burning and couldn't breathe. My family got out of the house as quickly as possible."
About 50 neighbours evacuated their homes and gathered at a nearby shelter.
Some neighbours said they had knocked on the door of the burning unit but there was no reply.
An SCDF spokesman said it was alerted to the fire at 12.25pm, and firefighters arrived within five minutes. They forced open the front door and found a raging fire inside.
The unit was also filled with thick smoke. SCDF officers used a water jet and extinguished the fire within 15 minutes.
A neighbour, Madam Chan Seck Ying, 56, said the younger girl was rescued first. She was carried out on a stretcher with a towel over her mouth.
The boy emerged next, riding piggyback on one of the firefighters, followed by the eldest girl. She walked out supported by two firefighters and was crying.
The three were taken to KK Women's & Children's Hospital. It is understood that they were treated for smoke inhalation. Investigations are ongoing.
Get The New Paper for more stories.