THREE Indian nationals facing charges relating to the Little India riot on Dec 8 were on Thursday ordered to be held in remand until Monday, to give the police more time to investigate.
District Judge Lim Tse Haw allowed the prosecution's request to hold the trio at the Central Police Division, where they could face further questioning, given the scale and volume of the evidence involved.
Karuppaiah Chandrasekar, 31, Palanivel Dhasmohan, 27, and Arumugam Karthik, 24, will have their cases heard again on Monday, along with those of the other 25 Indian nationals accused of being part of an unlawful assembly.
The riot, which left 39 Home Team officers injured and 25 government vehicles damaged, occurred after construction worker Sakthivel Kumaravelu, a 33-year- old from India, was killed in an accident involving a private bus operated by transport firm BT&Tan.
During the mayhem, Chandrasekar and Dhasmohan allegedly threw concrete at the police.
Karthik, meanwhile, is alleged to have been part of a group of at least five who overturned a police car and set it on fire. They are also accused of throwing a dustbin, concrete, bottles and a metal drain cover at the bus.
When asked if they had anything to say, the three men, who were dressed in yellow polo tees, all shook their heads. Criminal Legal Aid Scheme lawyer Amarick Gill told the court that all three qualified for legal aid.
He later told the media that the list of volunteer lawyers had been finalised. He added that, over the weekend, one pro bono lawyer would be assigned to each of the 26 accused who have not engaged their own counsel, in time for Monday afternoon's hearing.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.