Tourist held for alleged attacks on hotel staff, cop

Tourist held for alleged attacks on hotel staff, cop
The hotel in Seah Street where the Norwegian tourist allegedly went on a rampage.

His vacation seems to have included some drinks.

And the drinks could have led the tourist to allegedly commit a string of assaults: He allegedly attacked two hotel employees and a police officer.

Today, he will be hauled to court to face five charges.

A spokesman for police told The New Paper (TNP) that they received a call on Saturday at about 5.30am asking for assistance at a hotel in Seah Street.

TNP understands the hotel is the Naumi, a boutique hotel with rooms that go for at least $300 a night.

The award-winning hotel is surrounded by watering holes and restaurants.

It is understood that the tourist, a Norwegian, was a guest there and was apparently drunk that morning.

He had asked a female receptionist for room rates as he wanted to book another room.

Sources said he had arrived in Singapore alone. It is not known when he arrived.

After being told the rates, he went to the lift lobby and began shouting.

He then allegedly hit the receptionist on the left upper arm before taking the lift up.

He later got out of the lift and took the stairs to the rooftop infinity pool on the 10th storey. Then he went to another level and entered the room of a guest.

The guest, alarmed by the intrusion, informed the hotel and a male receptionist went and told the Norwegian to leave.

The man then allegedly punched and kicked the receptionist, causing him to suffer minor injuries. He then left the hotel and the police were called.

A police spokesman told TNP that officers from the Central Police Division responded to the call.

TNP understands that when the officers arrived, they heard someone shouting nearby. The man matched the description of the tourist.

He was seen arguing with a construction worker. The officers told him several times to quieten down, but he refused.

Despite more warnings, he continued to ramble on. The officers then arrested him.

He was found to be bleeding from the face, so the officers drove him to Singapore General Hospital for treatment. It is not known how he got hurt.

Later, as they were about to leave the hospital for the Police Cantonment Complex, he allegedly caused more trouble.

While seated in a stationary car, he started kicking the door. The officers then went to check on him.

The police spokesman told TNP that the suspect turned violent and kicked and charged at an officer. "Necessary force" was used to subdue him.

It was then that he allegedly kicked the officer in the leg. The officer suffered superficial wounds.

This article by The New Paper was published in MyPaper, a free, bilingual newspaper published by Singapore Press Holdings.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.