Trash at lobby catches fire

Trash at lobby catches fire
The remains of the thirdstorey lobby of Block 25 Jalan Berseh after the fire.

SINGAPORE - She wasn't sure if it was her own stove the was the source of the smoke.

Madam Kalsom Zainal, 34, was cooking when she smelled smoke and thought she had burnt something.

It was only when she turned around to find her third-storey unit in Block 25 Jalan Berseh enveloped in smoke, that she realised something was wrong.

A fire had broken out at the third-storey lift lobby of the block on Saturdayafternoon.

She said she heard the crackling of the wires as they burnt and knew it was a serious fire.

Madam Kalsom said: "I heard something go 'pop pop' and I just knew I had to leave.

"I immediately asked my parents to get out and carried my son to the playground downstairs," said Madam Kalsom.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force received a call about the fire at 1.48pm. While no one was hurt, police said that 20 people were evacuated from the block.

SCDF said discarded items at the lift lobby were on fire. The blaze was extinguished within 10 minutes with a waterjet.

When The New Paper on Sunday arrived at the scene, the entire lift lobby was a charred mess. Tiles were strewn on the floor, and electrical wiring hung from the ceiling.

Residents trying to return to their flats found it hard to come out of the lift as the doors could not open fully.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.