Trio charged over 'plot to murder man'

Trio charged over 'plot to murder man'
CAUGHT: (From left) Naing, Oaung and Hlaing. The men were said to have fled when the alleged victim's cries for help attracted the attention of passers-by. Among the items recovered later were a meat mincer, chainsaw and knives.
PHOTO: Lianhe Zaobao

TWO men allegedly "tasered" a 29-year-old Singapore permanent resident on Sunday. The intention, according to court documents, was to eventually murder him.

An array of items recovered later from a chalet at Aloha Changi were the tools allegedly gathered for the deed.

These included a meat mincer, a chainsaw, kitchen knives, a gas cooker, a gas cylinder, a tool set, trolley bags, plastic sheets, cable ties, a cleaver, aprons, a chopping board and rubber boots.

Yesterday, the two, together with a third man, were charged with abetment by conspiracy with a fourth man to commit murder.

The fourth man has fled the country.

The target of the four was Aye Maung Maung Thet, a permanent resident.

On Sunday evening, Mr Thet was attacked at the multi-storey carpark at Block 747A, Pasir Ris Street 71, by two of the three men who tried to abduct him. A "taser" was allegedly used on him.

On Tuesday night, the police said in a statement that a call about an assault in Pasir Ris Street 71 on Sunday night led to the arrest of the men: Myanmar nationals Yae Wynnt Oaung, 32, and Phyo Min Naing, 31, and Singapore permanent resident Zaw Min Hlaing, 37.

The alleged victim told the police that the men fled when his cries for help attracted the attention of passers-by.

Officers ambushed and arrested Hlaing near Balestier Road at about 1pm on Monday.

Oaung and Naing were arrested at the chalet at Aloha Changi several hours later.

On Tuesday morning, the police were alerted to an abandoned vehicle in the basement of Changi Airport Terminal 3. They found a white Mitsubishi multi-purpose vehicle at the carpark, and preliminary investigations suggest that it was linked to the case.

Meanwhile, it is said that the fourth man Win Kyaw Kyaw Aung alias Aung Aung, 29, left Singapore on Tuesday morning. The police are looking for him to help in investigations.

All three who were charged yesterday indicated that they wished to engage counsel.

Deputy Public Prosecutor John Lu applied for the trio to be remanded as investigations are incomplete. They will be back in court on Wednesday.

If convicted, the trio could be jailed for up to 14 years and fined.


Get MyPaper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.