Trio given jail, caning over rape of pub waitress

Trio given jail, caning over rape of pub waitress

After a night of drinking with a pub waitress, three young men - two brothers and their acquaintance - conspired to rape the severely inebriated 18-year-old.

They took her to a budget hotel and, once inside their room, wasted no time in undressing themselves and groping her as she lay on the bed.

This culminated in the youngest, Ho Boon Sheng, then 20, raping her even as she screamed and struggled.

Yesterday, Ho, now 25, was jailed 131/2 years and ordered to be caned 12 strokes for the rape at Hotel 81 Cosy on Jiak Chuan Road, Chinatown, in the early hours of July 4, 2010.

Brothers Calvin Tan Jian Wei, 28, and Edwin Tan Jian An, 26, who admitted abetting the rape, were each jailed 11 years and ordered to be caned eight strokes.

As the trio were led away by guards, Ho's wife, carrying their nine-day-old baby born on New Year's Day, sobbed while their two-year-old daughter called for her father.

While the brothers did not actually rape the victim, the prosecution asserted that they played significant roles, including carrying her to the room, holding her legs and covering her mouth to silence her.

The High Court heard that Edwin Tan, then a regular soldier, knew the girl through a mutual friend and often texted her.

On the night of July 3, 2010, Edwin Tan went with his former camp mate Ho, a claims assistant, to the Boat Quay pub where she worked.

The older Tan joined them later.

As the girl drank with the trio, she became weak and rested her head on the table.

Ho then mooted the idea of having a "foursome" - a suggestion the inebriated waitresss was unaware of.

When they left the pub, Ho suggested taking her to the Tans' home but the older Tan suggested going to a hotel.

As the trio sexually violated the girl, hotel staff called the room phone and knocked on the door no fewer than four times on hearing her screams. But they deflected the enquiries and continued their assault.

Three employees kept knocking on the door and entered the room as the men made an exit.

The police were called in and the three men were arrested at the hotel after they returned to carry the victim out.

The trio were "unrelenting and persistent in their sexual assault", said Justice Chan Seng Onn.

"The events could have turned out more serious if not for the timely intervention of hotel staff," the judge added.

This article was first published on Jan 10, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.