Two more suspects arrested for Bangkok Criminal Court blast

Two more suspects arrested for Bangkok Criminal Court blast

TWO MORE suspects, including a much-wanted woman named Dear, have been arrested for their alleged role in the hand-grenade attack at the Criminal Court in Bangkok last Saturday.

Suphaphorn "Dear" Mit-arak and Wassana Butdee were arrested on Thursday evening in Mukdahan province. Wassana has been accused of wiring Bt20,000 (S$846) at the order of Suphaphon Suphaphorn to the two alleged attackers - motorcycle rider Mahahin Khunthong and grenade thrower Yutthana Yenphinyo.

Military officials nabbed both men near the scene shortly after the attack.

Suphaphorn's name emerged as police uncovered a chat on the Line application between her and Mahahin discussing details of the attack. The chat was recorded in Mahahin's mobile phone, which police seized upon arresting him.

Military personnel handed Mahahin and Yutthana, along with their girlfriends Natthaphat Onming and Thatchaphan Pokkhrong, over to police yesterday after their military detention period was completed.

The four suspects re-enacted their alleged crimes under police supervision at five locations, including the Criminal Court compound on Ratchadaphisek Road.

Royal Thai Police commander Pol General Somyot Poompanmuang said later that Thatchaphan was the only person who denied being involved in the bomb attack. As of press time, no charges had been pressed against the four suspects.

Somyot repeated an earlier police statement saying the four suspects were the same people who carried out a pipe-bomb attack outside Siam Paragon and that they had chosen the Criminal Court because of its symbolic significance. He said neither of the attacks had anything to do with March 15 - the date that is speculated to be the day for simultaneous anti-government attacks.

Police have so far taken eight people into custody in relation to the grenade attack, and a manhunt is on for Weerasak Towangjorn, also known as Yai Pattaya, who allegedly attended a meeting to plan the attack and provided the grenade - a Russian-made RGD-5 - that was lobbed at the court.

A police source also accused Australia-based Anek Chaichana as being the mastermind of the attack. Anek, who is fleeing lese majeste charges, is aiming to instigate a United Nations intervention in Thailand's post-coup administration, the source added.

The source also said there were other men on the run identified as Bas and Wit who also allegedly attended the meeting held to plan the attack.

First Army Area commander Lt-General Kampanart Ruddit said later that the grenade attack was planned and ordered by certain people living overseas, who were part of a large network.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.