A woman died after suffering an adverse reaction to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) capsules - and on Wednesday, two men were jailed for selling them without a licence.
Lim Chung Hee, 64, was sentenced to five months in jail while his brother-in-law Cheong Wai Mun, 49, was jailed for four months.
They had pleaded guilty to selling the purported painkiller, containing four chemicals listed under the Poisons Act, without a licence from the Health Sciences Authority (HSA).
HSA prosecutor Amal Nasibah Salim told the district court that although the woman with the adverse drug reaction subsequently died, it could not be said for sure that this was due to the product.
Tan Tock Seng Hospital had notified the authority in March 2011 when she was warded.
Investigations led HSA officers to Lim and Cheong.