SINGAPORE - More than a thousand bees swarmed into two blocks of flats in Sengkang on Monday night, forcing some residents to close their doors and windows - and one to wear a raincoat for protection.
At about 8pm on Monday night, swarms of bees flew to a 17th-floor unit at Block 122C, Sengkang East Way, gathering by a window, Chinese newspaper Shin Min Daily News reported yesterday.
The bees also flew into corridors, lifts, a multipurpose pavilion and even into eight units at Block 122C and neighbouring Block 122E, Rivervale Drive.
More than 100 residents from the first to the 17th floors of Block 122C were affected by the bees. It is unknown why they appeared.
One resident, Ms Lin, told Shin Min that she got a fright at the sight of the bees in the corridor when she returned home at 8pm.
The 64-year-old housewife said: "After I got home, I closed the windows and main door tightly, but there were already more than 10 bees that got in. Early the next day, when I took my granddaughter out, I saw dead bees all over the corridors and outside the lifts. My granddaughter screamed and did not dare to move. She was in such a panic."
Another resident, Ms Fan, said that she put on a raincoat before leaving her house because she was afraid of getting stung.
"Just to be sure, I wore a raincoat, but luckily the bees didn't attack me," said the 68-year-old housewife. "Because the floor was covered with dead bees, the maid came out to clear them and pricked her finger."
Resident Chen Xiuyu, who lives in Block 122E, saw the bees on the 17th floor of Block 122C at 8am yesterday.
The 52-year-old housewife then called the town council and informed her neighbours, asking them to close their windows.
At about 12.30pm on Tuesday, the town council sent a pest exterminator to get rid of the bees.
Speaking to Shin Min, pest exterminator Mohammad Safuan said that the bees were there only temporarily, possibly drawn to the lights at night, and had not begun building a nest. He added that he would clear the bees by spraying them with chemicals.
A beehive was reportedly found in a nearby multipurpose hall a few months ago, with pest exterminators being called in then as well.
Get MyPaper for more stories.