The company behind controversial plans to develop a columbarium in Sengkang has said that it was open and transparent with the authorities about the tender.
Funeral services company Life Corporation insisted that it provided "all information required and requested" in accordance with tender conditions, in its first public comments since the Government admitted last week that it was a mistake to award the project to a commercial firm.
Life Corp has faced a backlash from residents of nearby Build-to-Order flats, such as Fernvale Lea, since The Straits Times reported the company's plans in late December.
Many residents are against the idea of a columbarium being built next to their estate, especially by a commercial company with no religious links.
Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan addressed the issue in Parliament on Thursday, reassuring residents that there will be no commercial columbarium at the site.
Life Corp said in an announcement posted on the Australian Securities Exchange website yesterday that "it has always been (the) intention that the temple component of the development would be headed by religious individuals".
Life Corp said it has already made preliminary plans regarding the operation of the temple, which is due to be completed by 2017.
It added that it is sensitive to recent public and government comments, and is currently working with the Government to explore whether "a mutually satisfactory and viable solution can be found in due course".
Get MyPaper for more stories.