Woman allegedly kills lover's wife and grandson

Woman allegedly kills lover's wife and grandson

MELBOURNE - A spurned Chinese woman sobbed hysterically in court after being accused of killing a four-year-old boy in Australia with garden shears before lying in wait for his grandmother and stabbing her to death.

Liao Caixia, 45, had been having an affair with the boy's

Melbourne-based grandfather, Mr Brian Mach, 61, until he recently called it off.

Sky News Australia reported that Liao showed up on Tuesday morning at Mr Mach's home, where she allegedly assaulted, tied and gagged him.

Police claim she then killed Mr Mach's grandson, Alistair, four, whom Mr Mach was babysitting, as the boy lay in bed, stabbing or slashing him with the shears in the head and neck.

A post-mortem revealed Alistair was stabbed 18 times, The Australian newspaper reported. He also had deep defensive wounds to his fingers, hands and arms.

Liao, in Australia on a tourist visa, is accused of waiting 10 hours for Mr Mach's wife, Mai, to return home before allegedly attacking and murdering her with the same shears, stabbing or slashing her 23 times in the backyard.

A neighbour alerted police after witnessing the second killing.

An out-of-sessions court hearing late on Wednesday was told Mr Mach had recently broken off a three-year relationship with the woman. Mr Mach was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital with minor injuries, but required heavy sedation, Sky News Australia reported.

Liao, who does not speak English, was charged with two counts of murder and one count each of intentionally causing injury and false imprisonment.

She appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court yesterday wearing a black tracksuit, sobbing uncontrollably, and became increasingly hysterical during her short appearance, according to The Australian. Her lawyer, Ms Sarah Pratt, said that Liao needed blood pressure medication and had suicidal thoughts.

The Herald Sun said more than 15 people closely connected to the Mach family attended the brief hearing, including the boy's stunned mother, who sat holding a small teddy bear.

Many sat wiping away tears even before Liao was marched in, flanked by security guards.

Family friend Diana Teoh, who had known Alistair since birth, told the newspaper he was "very bubbly, a very good boy".

"They (Alistair's parents) are trying to be strong for the rest of the family but they are definitely very devastated," she said. "We don't know what to tell our children too because they played with him all the time."

Liao will return to court for a committal hearing on July 22.

This article was first published on April 3, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.