SINGAPORE - What he saw totally shocked him.
A woman was on fire, and she was screaming in pain as she walked onto a field near the Singapore Indian Association on Thursday.
Club groundskeeper Appanah Apparoo was the first to spot her as she emerged from behind a white screen about 100m away - engulfed in flames.
And even though he later managed to put out the fire with the help of two colleagues, there was not much they could do to save the dying woman.
She died soon afterwards.
A visibly shaken Mr Appanah, 49, told reporters on Thursday that he could not eat after witnessing the incident.
He shuddered and said in Tamil: "I feel quite faint now. I don't think I can sleep. The image of the woman burning is very vivid in my mind."
The public has access to club's field. That was why he did not suspect anything out of the ordinary when he first spotted the woman walking along its perimeter while he was flattening the ground in the morning.