Woman, daughters, grandchild hit by dengue

Woman, daughters, grandchild hit by dengue
Choa Chu Kang has been hit the hardest by dengue for 2014, reports NEA, with 29 of the cases coming from a single block - Block 485D at Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5. An NEA official inspecting the area around Block 485D.

One household in the worst-hit dengue block, in the worst-hit cluster, is possibly the family which has been hit the hardest by the dreaded virus.

And at the worst of times, because the infections occurred in the midst of Ramadan.

One by one, the family of four living in a five-room flat in Block 485D at Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5 were infected over three weeks.

"All of us were in so much pain and always so nauseated that we couldn't even eat," said Madam Ramnah Adnan, 54.

Her daughter, Madam Nuraini Rosli, 32, who works at the Jurong Community Development Council, was the first to be infected, said Madam Ramnah. "I remember Nuraini always feeling like she was going to throw up at that time."

Madam Nuraini went to see her family doctor in Choa Chu Kang, who advised her to go to Choa Chu Kang Polyclinic for blood tests.

The tests proved positive for dengue and Madam Nuraini was warded at the National University Hospital (NUH) for three days.

Shortly after, Madam Ramnah herself began to feel unwell. "I started feeling giddy and had a bad headache, too," she said.

She visited the same family doctor, who advised her to head to NUH, where blood tests revealed that she had a minor case of dengue.

Madam Ramnah was told to remain in hospital, but she felt well enough to return home by the end of the day.

She said that NUH medical officers had advised her to visit the polyclinic regularly to get her blood tested. She was told to drink plenty of water. She was also prescribed painkillers for her headache.

"I went to the polyclinic last week and again on Wednesday and they told me I was fine," she said.

But it did not stop there. Some time last week, Madam Ramnah's 33-year-old daughter Nurazlina Rosli and her daughter Nur Alyssa, six, also began experiencing dengue-like symptoms.

"I had bad body aches. I felt weak and nauseous," said Madam Nurazlina, a housewife. Nur was also feverish and nauseous. Both went to NUH directly to seek treatment.

"They put me on the drip, about six or seven bottles," said Ms Nurazlina, who had difficulty eating because of constant nausea.

Both mother and child were warded for three days. They were advised to rest and drink lots of water.

On Thursday, all four were fully recovered and have gone back to their daily routines. They have also resumed fasting in observance of Ramadan.

"When we were sick, of course we had to eat and drink for strength, although it was Ramadan," said Madam Ramnah.

Now, she is not taking any chances in dengue prevention.

"I used up an entire can of mosquito repellent to spray the whole house. I put one mosquito coil in every room, all day and night."

More about

dengue fever
Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.