MALAYSIA - A woman was so devastated upon hearing that her husband had died in a road accident that she fed their son with poison-laced rice before consuming it herself.
Both mother and the 10-year-old boy died in the tragedy, Malaysia Nanban reported.
On Sept 17, Jnanashekar Parashuraman, 50, who was the sole breadwinner of the family from Bangalore, was run over by a motorcycle. He slipped into a coma and died the following day.
Jnanashekar was the owner of a tool factory. He was crossing the road when a speeding motorcyclist knocked him down.
His grief-stricken wife Chitra, 40, fed her son Jeevan rice mixed with rat poison before eating it herself.
Jeevan, upon sensing something was wrong, called an uncle who rushed them to the nearest hospital.
However, both victims died later.