Woman 'tried to kill female ex-lover who spurned her'

Woman 'tried to kill female ex-lover who spurned her'

A tumultous romantic relationship between two young women ended with one of them stabbing the other in a hotel room, the High Court heard yesterday as a 25-year-old woman went on trial for the attempted murder of her former lover, three years her junior.

Giselle Shi Jia Wei is accused of stabbing Ummul Qurratu 'Ain Abdul Rahman twice in the chest before turning the knife on herself in a hotel room in Geylang on July 22, 2012.

The prosecution's case is that Shi broke up with Ms Qurratu 'Ain but later tried to get back with her. When the latter was not willing to do so, Shi could not accept it and decided to murder her, and then kill herself.

One of the stab wounds fractured the victim's breastbone and punctured the wall of her heart.

Shi faces a life term or up to 20 years' jail if she is convicted of attempted murder. A second charge of attempted suicide has been stood down for now.

The bespectacled, long-haired woman looked frequently at her former lover as Ms Qurratu 'Ain, 22, a freelance musician, testified about their stormy relationship and the stabbing.

They met in 2010 and started a steady relationship in July 2011.

The alleged victim, who had short hair and wore a black jacket and slim-fit pants, told the court that they fought over the simplest things - financial matters, jealousy and "things I say wrong".

She lived at Shi's family home for nearly half a year but was mostly confined to Shi's room as they did not want Shi's parents to know she was there. In May 2012, however, Shi's mother discovered her presence and told her to leave.

The couple then lived in Johor Baru for about a month before returning to Singapore.

Ms Qurratu 'Ain said Shi became "calculative, possessive, and insecure". They squabbled over the use of toiletries and Shi kept a book on the money she spent on her, controlled her job choices and made her close her Facebook account, she said.

On July 14, 2012, they had a row at upscale nightspot Mink, after which Shi said she wanted to end the relationship.

A week later, on the night of July 21, Shi asked to meet her.

Ms Qurratu 'Ain assumed Shi wanted closure and agreed.

The couple had supper, during which Shi was "exceptionally needy", she said. They then went to a hotel, where Shi repeatedly pleaded to get back together. She refused.

Ms Qurratu 'Ain said she was lying in bed when Shi, who was straddling her leg, rummaged in her bag and then raised her hands.

"I felt something pierce my chest," said Ms Qurratu 'Ain. The knife was pulled out of her chest in the ensuing struggle, but Shi stabbed her a second time, she said.

She fainted and, when she came to, she thought she saw Shi slitting her wrist. Shi then covered her with a blanket and said: "Now we can be together forever."

Ms Qurratu 'Ain later got away and sought help from two hotel guests. The trial continues today.


This article was first published on Sep 24, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.