Woman who tried to kill female ex-lover jailed 4 years

Woman who tried to kill female ex-lover jailed 4 years

SINGAPORE - A 25-year-old woman who tried to kill her former girlfriend after the latter refused to get back into a relationship with her was jailed for four years on Friday.

Get the full story from The Straits Times.

Here is an earlier article on the case:

Woman stabs ex-lover twice after sex in Geylang hotel
Elizabeth Law | The New Paper | Friday, Sep 26, 2014

The lesbian lovers had a tempestuous relationship that was littered with quarrels and violent fights.

In July 2012, after a year together, one of them, Giselle Shi Jia Wei, decided to break up after yet another fight.

A week later, Shi met her former lover, Miss Ummul Qurratu 'Ain Abdul Rahman, for supper. They ended up in a Geylang hotel, where they had sex.

Afterwards, as they lay naked in bed watching TV, Shi tried in vain to reconcile with Miss Ummul.

Shi then straddled Miss Ummul's left thigh, raised both arms, which were holding an object, before bringing them down suddenly.

Miss Ummul felt a piercing pain in her chest and realised she had just been stabbed with a knife.

Shi then stabbed her former lover again.

These horrific details emerged yesterday as the trial of Shi, now 25, for the attempted murder of Miss Ummul, now 22, began in the High Court.

The alleged attack happened in the Golden Star Hotel at Geylang Lorong 8 on July 22, 2012.

The two had met in 2010 and begun their tumultuous relationship in July 2011.

At the start of the hearing, Deputy Public Prosecutor Sellakumaran applied for a gag order to protect the victim's identity, given the "rather unusual circumstances of the case".

After considering the application, Justice Choo Han Teck said he was "not satisfied" that the gag order was necessary.

Miss Ummul, who took the stand, said in her statement that they had broken up on July 14, 2012, after a fight.

Although Shi had initiated the break-up, she later wanted to patch up. Miss Ummul was against it but agreed to meet Shi "for closure".

On July 21, they met at Sembawang MRT station for supper but decided to take a taxi to Geylang Lorong 8 to eat at a dim sum stall.


Miss Ummul said Shi kept trying to hold her hand, but she pulled her hand away.

After supper, they checked into the hotel, watched TV and fell asleep. At about 1pm the next day, they woke up and had sex.

Miss Ummul was lying in bed watching TV when Shi asked her if there was any chance of them reconciling.

Miss Ummul said no.

Shi "was becoming more desperate and looked like she was going to cry," Miss Ummul said.

She moved her handbag from the bedside table and put it on the bed before straddling Miss Ummul's thigh. She asked again if they were really not getting back together.

Miss Ummul told the court that when she said no, she saw Shi holding something with both hands and bringing it down on her chest.

Feeling a sharp pain, Miss Ummul saw a knife sticking out of her chest. She struggled with Shi and pulled the 10cm blade out, but Shi stabbed her a second time.

Miss Ummul passed out for what felt like a few minutes. When she came to, she said she saw Shi slitting her wrists. She also saw blood on her own chest and body.

After a while, Shi covered her with a blanket and said: "Now we can be together".

Fearing for her life, Miss Ummul begged Shi to let her go to the bathroom. Shi told her to relieve herself where she was. Miss Ummul said it was her "last wish" to go to the bathroom. Relenting, Shi agreed but followed her into the bathroom. She sat in front of Miss Ummul, who was sitting on the toilet, and held her hand. Miss Ummul felt Shi's grip weaken gradually and managed to run out of the room.

Bleeding from her stab wounds, she saw "a vision of two people" and shouted to them: "Help, somebody is trying to kill me."

They helped her to the lobby where a hotel employee called for an ambulance.

Miss Ummul told the court: "I remember being carried... being transferred and being in an ambulance. I asked (the paramedics) several times if I was going to die.

"I told them that it was very painful."

The trial continues today.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.