S'pore Cricket Club president dies after fall

S'pore Cricket Club president dies after fall
The Straits Times reported that the SCC President Michael Grice died after he slipped at the club's entrance. He was 70.

MICHAEL Grice, the president of the Singapore Cricket Club (SCC), died early yesterday morning after an accidental fall on the stairs leading to the men's changing room at the club.

The Yorkshire-born 70-year-old, who had given a rousing speech during the dinner for the club's annual cricket tournament on Saturday night, died soon after he slipped and took a knock on his head while apparently on his way to collect his sports bag before leaving for home.

He was found unconscious by club members, who tried to resuscitate him and called for an ambulance.

The Briton was rushed to the Singapore General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at around 5am.

Mr Grice was elected president of the club on April 22, after holding senior positions and heading various sporting sub-committees since he became a member in 1970, when he arrived in Singapore as an employee of a trading company.

The football, cricket and rugby lover was one of the driving forces behind the SCC's T20 2014, a popular international cricket tournament, of which the fourth edition concluded at the Padang yesterday.

"He was an energetic president who had clear goals and wanted to achieve them," said Sher Baljit Singh, SCC's deputy president. "He was mild-mannered but took up issues and fought for them passionately. He was committed to the club and spent a lot of time serving the various committees."

Lawyer and former judicial commissioner of the Supreme Court, Joe Grimberg, 81, who had known Mr Grice for 40 years, said: "He was a very genial guy, who had great love for cricket in particular and sport in general.

"He was never good enough to play at the top level but played for the club's Saturday cricket team with great enthusiasm.

"He was very gregarious, had friends of all races and was a true patriot of Singapore."

Mr Grice was an adviser to the Singapore Cricket Association and served as the Singapore Rugby Union's (SRU's) vice-president from 2006 to 2008. He was on its current judiciary panel.

"Michael was a real stalwart of Singapore rugby," said SRU president Low Teo Ping. "He was a keen supporter of the game at the school level and got the SCC to fund a number of youth development schemes. He always showed up at local rugby matches and was a man with a really good sense of humour."

The wake will be held at the Singapore Casket Company in Lavender Street from this evening. The funeral is on Tuesday.


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.