In Australia you're surrounded by the most incredible natural beauty. Being in the water or near to it is a way of life for us," the 32-year-old said.
"It wasn't a hard decision to move back to Australia because this part of the world is such a special place. This is the place I want my kids to grow up - that's the world I want them to be part of," he added.
Tourism Australia managing director John O'Sullivan assured that Australia will still be the star of its latest campaign. But let's not kid ourselves here, the Melbourne native will ultimately steal the show.
He has saved the world at least three times as a mythological Norse deity (Thor, The Avengers), battled all kinds of nasties in a run-down shack (The Cabin in the Woods) and let's not forget - he got through a movie with a wooden plank as a co-star (uh sorry, we mean Kristen Stewart in Snow White and the Huntsman).
So yes, who better to be the face of Tourism Australia's latest campaign but Hemsworth? Here are five reasons the Hollywood superstar deserves to promote Australia's aquatic and coastal experiences:
1. He has a jolly good time while wet… and fully clothed.
2. If he can bring a wooden plank to life with a kiss (uh again, sorry we mean Kristen Stewart), he sure as hell can keep Australia's aquatic life safe.
3. If something strange happens on the coast, who you gonna call? Those biceps!
4. Tourism is a service industy, and that smile is sure to melt hearts.
5. Come on, if you can pull this off at the beach, you can do anything in life.