What should I keep in mind when upgrading my underwear drawer from the usual T-shirt bras and basic bottoms?
Lingerie e-tailer Perk by Kate founder Kate Low shares these 10 tips:
1. Upgrade to a good moulded cup bra with nice details. For example, a mesh layer or lace band can elevate a simple padded bra (photo 1, $89.90, available in black and pink, from B3-08 Ion Orchard).
2. Think more about material over design and style when it comes to underwear. Breathable pima cotton is all the rage now and is available at a good price. For special occasions, go for simple lace thongs or seamless boyshorts.
3. When it comes to underwear, the essentials are bikini briefs for wearing jeans, boy shorts and thongs for tight-fitted pants, and thongs for tight dresses.
4. Always have black and nude underwear. These styles will prevent any visible panty lines and ensure you do not show off more colour than you should.
5. Bralettes (photo 2, $59, from Perk by Kate) are great for women who pride comfort over boost because they are the most comfortable style of lingerie around. Opt for lined bralettes and wear them with looser tops. Stick to a moulded cup bra for tight clothing.
6. If you are interested in spicing things up, go for underwire bras with sheer lace, mesh or cut-out details. Bralettes without lining are really sexy, so go for them if you feel confident enough.
7. Bralettes also sometimes come with slots for removable pads - the holy grail of lingerie. You get the feminine prettiness of bralettes, without any of the underwire or heavy padding that come with normal bras.
8. Contrary to the image, fuller-sized women can also go for certain bralettes. They come with stretchy bands nowadays and the elasticity of bands offers support without underwire digging into one's chest. Go for fuller cup bralettes or triangle styles (photo 3, $49, from Perk by Kate), which hold up better.
9. For mothers who are still breastfeeding, bralettes are great as they can meet the needs of a nursing bra, without any discomfort. Cups are soft like fabric and easy to fold over even when the bra is in place.
10. For new mothers with fluctuating breast sizes, bralettes also offer flexibility of stretch and allow you to upsize and downsize without having to buy a different bra every time.
This article was first published on Sept 05, 2014.
Get a copy of Urban, The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.