Why you should start wearing it: The oversized belt is a key trend this autumn/winter, with designers such as Balmain and Isabel Marant going big and bold around the waistline.
A wide belt helps pull a look together and adds an eye-catching accent, especially if it comes with an embellished buckle or an unusual print.
Wide belts can help channel different looks too. Stylist Neo Li Rong says a wide belt can add a modern touch to an outfit when worn high on the waist or below the bust, and a 1970s-inspired retro look when worn at the hips.
Best of all, it can accentuate one's waist and make one look slimmer.
How to wear it: Wearing it high just below the bust works best on those with slim waists.
Those who are less slim should wear it at the waist and stick to classic colours and materials, such as black leather.
The belt can also be worn at the hips. But when doing so, avoid bulky belts that are overly thick or embellished. Your top should also be form-fitting.
Avoid wearing a wide belt at the waist if you are already wearing low-rise pants or skirts because it creates a double waist, distorting your body shape.
Also, less is more. For example, do not wear a wide belt over an outfit with a lot of details, say, a button-up skirt. For a simple, casual look, cinch a wide belt over a crisp shirt and cardigan and pair with denim jeans.
1. ASOS Wide PU Belt With Faux Suede Tie Detail, $32.42, from Asos (www.asos.com)
Pair this Japanese obi-inspired belt with high-waisted shorts and a long-sleeve silk shirt for a look that is classic and elegant.
2. McQ Alexander McQueen Floral- Print Patent-Leather Belt, US$226.02 (S$311), from Net-A-Porter (www.net-a-porter.com)
This floral belt is great for livening up a solid-coloured outfit.
3. Bershka Stamped Detail Sash Belt, $19.90, from Bershka stores, including B2-09/10/11 Ion Orchard, 2 Orchard Turn
Wear this belt with a flowy, floral long-sleeve maxi dress to achieve the bohemian, 1970s look.
4. Stradivarius Wide Belt, $19.90, from Stradivarius stores, including B2-15 Ion Orchard
A classic wide black belt like this is a wardrobe staple and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
5. COS Belt with Square Buckle,$79, from COS stores, including 03-23/23A Ion Orchard
A simple and understated option.
This article was first published on August 6, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.