SYDNEY - Australian authorities said on Friday that they have abandoned the previous search area in the southern Indian Ocean for wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, in favour of a new site more than 1,000 km north.
"We have moved on from those search areas to the newest credible lead," Mr John Young, general manager of the emergency response division of AMSA, told reporters in Canberra.
Mr Young said the revised data, which was based on the jet travelling at a faster but constant speed than previously thought, could be revised still further as analysis continued.
MH370 search area shifted on 'new, credible lead': AMSA
PERTH - The search for wreckage of Flight MH370 was shifted Friday to an area 1,100 kilometres (685 miles) northeast of where planes had been looking after "a new, credible lead", Australian authorities said.
"The new information is based on continuing analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost," the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said.
"It indicated that the aircraft was travelling faster than previously estimated, resulting in increased fuel usage and reducing the possible distance the aircraft travelled south into the Indian Ocean."
The updated advice was provided by the international investigation team in Malaysia with the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) determining "that this is the most credible lead to where debris may be located".