Belgium charges two new suspects over Paris attacks: prosecutor

Belgium charges two new suspects over Paris attacks: prosecutor
People gather around a makeshit memorial at the bottom of the Marianne statue on place de la Republique in Paris on November 13, 2016 as France marked the first anniversary of the Paris attacks with sombre ceremonies and painful memories for the relatives of the 130 people killed. 130 people were killed on November 13, 2015 by gunmen and suicide bombers from the Islamic State (IS) group in a series of coordinated attacks in and around Paris.
PHOTO: AFP

Belgium has charged two new suspects in connection with the November 2015 Paris attacks claimed by the Islamic State group which left 130 people dead, federal prosecutors said Thursday.

The two - identified as Farid K. and Meryem E. B. - are "suspected to have provided Khalid El Bakraoui with the false documents afterwards used in preparation of the Paris attacks," a statement said.

Bakraoui blew himself up at a Brussels metro station while his brother Ibrahim

and another suicide bomber attacked Brussels airport in twin attacks that killed 32 people on March 22 last year.

Some 20 people have been charged in Belgium in connection with the investigation into the Paris attacks.

Investigators say the Paris and Brussels attacks were carried out by the same cell.

Farid K. has "been charged with participation in the activities of a terrorist group, falsification of documents and use of false documents," the prosecutor's office said.

Meryem E.B. "has been charged with falsification of documents and use of false documents," it said.

Farid K. has been placed in police custody while Meryem E.B was released under "strict" conditions, it added.

More about

terrorism FRANCE
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.