Break over, Obama returns to Iraq nightmare

Break over, Obama returns to Iraq nightmare

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama returned to Washington on Monday after a brief family break in California to find himself confronted once again by the nightmare from which America thought it had escaped: Iraq.

Obama ran for the White House as a young leader who opposed the 2003 US invasion, and then won re-election as the steady hand who had finally withdrawn American troops eight years later.

But now his generals have brought out the old map once again and the 44th president - like the 41st, 42nd and 43rd - is contemplating new military action against targets in Iraq.

Without putting large numbers of US boots on the ground, Obama's best option to counter a lightning offensive by Sunni extremist militants that has threatened the Baghdad government may be strikes from the air.

But, whether he limits action to drone strikes, cruise missile salvoes or bombardment from carrier-based aircraft, he will be taking a step he wanted to avoid: expanding US action in the Middle East.

'Range of options'

"The president said that he wanted to meet with his national security team when he returns to Washington tonight," spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters.

"The purpose of that meeting would be to hear from members of his national security team directly about their ongoing efforts to present him with a range of options." Last week, Obama said he would take a few days to study his options. Since then, the ISIL militant group that had captured Mosul has only made further gains against Iraqi government forces.

The Sunni extremist faction, fighting civil wars on two fronts in Iraq and Syria, has boasted on Twitter of having killed 1,700 Shiite prisoners - a claim denounced in Washington.

Late last month, in a major foreign policy address delivered before a graduating class at the West Point military academy, Obama expressed caution about new military adventures.

"Just because we have the best hammer does not mean that every problem is a nail," the commander-in-chief insisted.

But since then, officials as senior as Secretary of State John Kerry have signaled that he has not ruled out some form of military response to ISIL's brazen aggression.

We have been here before.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.