OCBC Cycle Singapore 2016 happens on Oct 1-2, 2016. Instead of simply waiting and training on your own for the big weekend ahead, the folks at OCBC Cycle, as with previous years, wants everybody to get more out of this big cycling event that had since became quite a tradition for Singapore for years.
The fun has already started! And Bikezilla and AsiaOne spent a morning checking out one such event.
This year's Cafe Bike Crawl goes to the north-east of Singapore, which is essentially the North Eastern Riverine Loop or the Punggol PCN cycle route.
It is a casual cycling event where you can enjoy the company of cycling kakis as you explore new cycling routes and cafe haunts around the island.
This was what's cool, according to Adrian Tay, former editor of AsiaOne, who is also an avid weekend cyclist and enjoys cycling on his travels overseas:
1) Checking out what's on the menu at Toast Box at Waterway Point was the breakfast stop. The coffee was good, & even better I got to try out bites I otherwise wouldn't have ordered.
2) Supporting local, getting to try out bikes from Singapore bicycle brand Coast Cycles during a stop on Coney Island. This was a good opportunity to try out bikes I might not otherwise spurge on.
3) Getting a generous scoop of Kaya-flavoured ice cream at Wayne's Chillout, a lovely dessert and refreshment stop at Punggol Settlement, was especially good since it was a hot sunny day.
4) Introduction to Soek Seng 1954 Bicycle Cafe, a cosy cafe in old Seletar airbase area with over 20 classic road bicycles hanging all over the cafe. Some date as far back as the 1950s, and all restored by cafe owner Mr Poon himself. A definite return stop for me.
5) All of the above were excellent instagram opportunities as you can see.
6) Finally, I didn't have to worry about my bike while I enjoy each of the cafe stops, thanks to the OCBC organising crew.
JOIN THE CRAWL
Interested? Join OCBC Cycle on a Cafe Bike Crawl that is happening in July and August 2016.
WHEN: 9 July and 13 August 2016, 8:00am to 3:00pm
VENUE: 10 Tebing Lane, @Punggol (Meeting Point)
PLACES AVAILABLE: 60
SIGN-UP FEE: $6 per pax (Amount will be donated to the chosen charities)
To register, click here.
Check out these photos from a recent crawl.
*As some sections of this route may be on open roads, you have to be a competent cyclist comfortable with riding in such conditions. This activity also requires you to bring your own bicycle and helmet. This workshop is only open to participants 21 years old and above.
Bikezilla is a FREE online media and social portal for Asian cyclists.