Canadian parliament attack lasted mere moments

Canadian parliament attack lasted mere moments
A still image captured from video footage by the Globe and Mail newspaper shows police officers responding to shooting attacks inside the Centre Block of the Parliament buildings in Ottawa, Ontario October 22, 2014.

OTTAWA - The speed of the attack was stunning: It took only moments for a lone gunman to breach security at Canada's parliament Wednesday after shooting dead a soldier at a nearby war memorial.

Here is a timeline of those events provided by Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Bob Paulson at a press conference on Thursday: Around 9:50 am. The suspect approaches the War Memorial on foot and fires twice at army reservist Nathan Cirillo from behind, while yelling in English words that witnesses could not make out.

He also shoots at the second guard at the cenotaph but misses, then runs back to a vehicle on Wellington Street, makes a U-turn and drives a few meters to the east gate in the old stone wall surrounding parliament.

9:52:23 The suspect stops his car at the east gate. One of several passersby approaches the car.

"As the suspect exits bearing his firearm, people run away," Paulson said.

He starts running toward the East Block, which houses MPs' offices, and commandeers a minister's waiting car.

"There's some exchange with the driver. The vehicle backs up slightly. The driver exits the vehicle and runs away," Paulson said.

9:52:36 Police receive the first of several 911 emergency calls about a shooting at the cenotaph.

9:53:16 "The suspect then drives toward Centre Block," which houses the Commons and Senate chambers, Paulson said.

RCMP officers notice the car moving with its door ajar. Three police vehicles give chase.

9:53:37 The suspect stops the vehicle to the left of the entrance to parliament and runs towards the main doors.

9:53:46 The suspect enters Centre Block.

"It took approximately one minute and 23 seconds between the time he parked the beige car and entered Centre Block.

"Once inside Centre Block, the suspect exchanged gun fire with House of Commons security and RCMP officers. (The exact details of this exchange are still under investigation)."

The suspect flees down the Hall of Honor towards the library where Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers and others "did engage with him."

"I understood that the suspect and Mr Vickers were behind pillars and were exchanging fire. The suspect repositioned himself to get a better shot at Mr Vickers" when the suspect was taken down in a hail of bullets.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.